A musculoskeletal issue can be an acute or chronic problem caused by injury, muscle weaknesses, decreased core strength, poor posture, tight ITB (iliotibial band) and other bio-mechanical asymmetries. Typically the issue occurs when muscles, ligaments, or tendons become strained through overuse, trauma, long term sitting, poor body mechanics, or increased physical activity.
- Examples include:
- neck and back pain of insidious onset,
- joint or bone pain from weakness or strains of the muscles,
- joint or bone pain from arthritis, and
- muscle, myofascial, or other tissue restrictions
Treating Musculoskeletal Conditions
Our therapists help alleviate your pain and increase your function, strength, and flexibility through the use of manual therapy. Manual therapy has been shown to facilitate pain relief, increase muscle and soft tissue elasticity, enhance circulation, and decrease overall healing time. Manual therapy treatment is frequently endorsed with an individualized exercise program that targets a patient’s specific condition.
Orthopedic conditions are musculoskeletal conditions often associated with a sports injury, acute injury, or post-surgical condition. Examples include:
- Sprains in the ankles, knees, hips, back, or shoulders that occur during activity.
- Patients can usually pinpoint when the event has occurred: “I was running and rolled my ankle” or “I was lifting a heavy box and felt a ‘pop’ in my back.”
- joint replacements
- various back issues, or spinal diseases
- degenerative disease of the joints.
We will formulate, or work with you and your primary care provider to establish injury-specific treatment protocols. These evidence-based, industry-standard guidelines clearly define weekly goals, precautions, and timelines for gradual increase in recovery. Along with the use of established protocols we use our expert clinical judgment to assess and treat a patient’s individual needs should they arise during the healing process. Manual therapy techniques are employed to help improve circulation, decrease swelling, relieve pain, and improve soft tissue elasticity. We also offer other modalities for pain reduction, such as targeted muscle through a robust home exercise program.